Saturday, August 12, 2017

What Did I Do Wrong?

I acquired a recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake over 20 years ago when a young bride-to-be asked me to bake and decorate her wedding cake. Brave girl.  Now this was to be my first wedding cake and I approached the challenge with gusto.  I purchased 3" deep pans from 6" to 16", and began to bake.

I began with a 10" round pan and baked the cake according to the recipe.  The smell of cake baking was heavenly, it looked sooo good.  I turned the cake out and admired it. Ah! I was well on my way.  So I thought.  Warm, gooey cake batter began to ooze out of this beautiful golden cake!  What did I do wrong?!

Back to the mixer and whip up some more batter!  I tried lowering the temperature and baking longer, no success.  I was invited to a friend's commercial kitchen and used his convection oven, still no success.  Cake would be nearly burnt on the outside and raw on the inside.  Eventually I stumbled upon the solution.  A HEAT CORE!  By the time I made this five-tier cake, I probably baked the equivalent of three wedding cakes!  Fortunately friends were only too happy to taste my cake fails.


Tips for using the HEAT CORE:
  • How it works: The metal core transfers heat to the batter from the center of the cake helping the cake to bake evenly.
  • Any cake pan over 10" in diameter needs a HEAT CORE, especially since my pans were 3" deep.
  • It's important to grease and flour the inside and outside of the HEAT CORE.
  • Fill the HEAT CORE with batter to the same level as the batter in your pan. Just pop the center cake back in the primary cake layer, trim as necessary.


Cream Cheese Pound Cake


Cream:
3 sticks butter
8 oz. cream cheese


Beat in:
3 c. sugar


Add:
6 eggs, one at a time
2 t. vanilla
3 c. sifted flour
1/4 t. salt


Bake at 325 degrees, (greased & floured)10" tube pan, 1 hr.,20 min.

Note:  This recipe yields about 9 cups of batter, (a cake mix is about 5 cups).  Therefore, if you are planning to use a different pan than the 10" tube (AKA Angel Food Cake Pan), know that you may have extra batter.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

What Did I Do Wrong?

I acquired a recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake over 20 years ago when a young bride-to-be asked me to bake and decorate her wedding cake. B...