Sunday, August 13, 2017

Walking Down Memory Lane

I have fond memories of the many cakes my Mom made throughout my childhood.  One of my favorite cakes was a Chocolate Cake that she made which required boiling water.  It was a recipe she collected from the newspaper and was reportedly a favorite of President Truman.  

When I saw a cup of *milk souring (yup, souring!) on the kitchen window sill, I KNEW Mom was making Chocolate Cake! Yum!  She often frosted this cake with 7-Minute Frosting (marshmallow frosting) and covered the cake with shredded coconut.  Below  is the recipe . . . easier to read than Mom's handwriting!

* Sour MIlk - measure one cup of milk, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes.  This is also a substitute for Buttermilk.




Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
3/4 c. butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Sift Together:
2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. cocoa

1 c. sour milk
1 cup boiling water

Cream sugar and butter.  Add eggs, one at a time; then, vanilla.  Beat in flour, alternating with milk into creamed sugar and butter. (Flour-milk-flour-milk-flour). Add boiling water all at once and stir well to blend.

Bake @ 350 degrees in greased pan(s).  2 - 9" pans for 30 minutes; 13X9 pan for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

What Did I Do Wrong?

I acquired a recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake over 20 years ago when a young bride-to-be asked me to bake and decorate her wedding cake. B...